The Saskatoon Blades take their number one ranked road record with them as they take on the Pats in Regina tonight.
The Blades are coming off a 5-4 shootout win over Brandon last night. A win that saw them get caught behind the 8 ball in the third period, allowing the Wheatkings back into the game. (Saskatoon blew a 4-1 lead after 2 periods)
Saskatoon is going to have to stay mentally sharp in tonight's game to make sure that doesn't happen again.
Regina lost their last game, 7-1 in Edmonton on Saturday. You know they will be hungry for this one after having to sit on a loss like that for a number of days.
Last time here, the Blades scored first, but lost 5-2. Overall the season series is even at one game a piece as the Blades won on home ice at the start of October 6-2.
Here are the keys to tonight's game:
- Come out aggressive. The Pats were embarrassed last time out 7-1 and have had a number of days to sit and think about that. Translate that into a good aggressive game and specifically, a good start.
- Protect the slot area. They have allowed more goals then any other team in the WHL (179), they can’t be giving away solid chances from key areas.
- And score in transition. We saw the Blades get caught standing around last night as Brandon came at them with speed. Regina needs to try and exploit that, mainly with their key weapon of Jordan Weal.
- Be the first team to score. They are now 22-2 when scoring first in hockey games after the win last night against Brandon.
- Watch Myles Bell. The 17 year old defenseman likes to jump into the rush and put the puck on net. He is 3rd in goals for defenseman in the league as well, with 11.
- And find road powerplay success. The results have been night and day when comparing the road PP to home ice. Quick puck movement is key.
The game goes at 7:00 from Regina. You can listen to the game live on 92.9 The Bull, starting with the pregame show at 6:30.